Monday, August 19, 2013

Tipping the dealer - III

Conversation that I have heard many times at the poker table :

Player 1 : Hey, the spades royal flush high hand jackpot is only $100. Last time I was here it was over $2,000. Who won it?

Player 2 : Big Al hit it last night. In fact our very own Dealer Dylan dealt it to him and only got a $10 tip.

Player 1 : Is that true, Dylan? You should've dealt it to me, you would've gotten $200.

Dealer Dylan (scowling) : I shouldn't really comment.


For those unfamiliar with the procedure, once a high hand is hit, the dealer shouts out "high hand" and counts down the deck, the floor comes over to visually verify the high hand, tells the dealer to push the pot and go on to the next hand. All the necessary paperwork, including tax forms if necessary, is handled by the floor, and when everything is ready the floor returns to the table with the payment and gives it to the dealer who then disburses it to the lucky winner (after finishing dealing the current hand). In a well run room, a high hand may cost a dealer 1 minute in lost dealing time.

So when dealer Jennifer Gay says "you're tipping for service, not for results", she is in the minority. Every dealer I've spoken to is more "results oriented", like Dylan.

4 comments:

angerisagift said...

i tip 10% of the high hand or whatever the promotion is.

Memphis MOJO said...

Player 2 : Big Al hit it last night. In fact our very own Dealer Dylan dealt it to him and only got a $10 tip.

I would have tipped more than $10. Having said that, however, it's nobody's business how much I tip.

Mr Subliminal said...

Having said that, however, it's nobody's business how much I tip.

MOJO, I agree but in this and most other cases, you can be certain it was Dylan that made it public knowledge.

lightning36 said...

I probably fit into catagory four from the first post in this series. I do not tip on just winning blinds or with maybe one or two limpers. I generally tip the standard $1 on a pot and more if the pot is really big or if the dealer has been dealing me winning hands on a rush. I also tip sometimes just for dealer niceness, if the dealer has made extra efforts to make the table fun, has had to handle a table jerk and did so with class, or even just for making a correct ruling on a tricky situation - even if it has gone against me, but was correct. I am just a recreational player and value fun as well as winning.

I often wonder how much I would tip on a huge win like a bad beat jackpot. I dunno.