Saturday, February 02, 2008

$50 but for sloth?

Bellagio $5-$10 NLHE. I am in the 10 seat and last to act among 5 players in an unraised pot in which there has been no betting, just checking, on the flop, turn and river. The board is 3-T-X-3-X and there is $50 in the middle.

Showdown time. Small blind, in the 1 seat, says "Queen" but still has not turned over his cards. The big blind mucks. Player 3, in the 5 seat, mucks as does Player 4 in the 8 seat. Their mucked cards are still in front of them, face down. The dealer, one of the older females on the staff, does not make an effort to kill the hands. I have king high and table my hand at about the same time the small blind turns over his queen high. At this stage, Player 4 says "I thought you said three" and reaches out and turns over an ace from his mucked hand. The dealer is flummoxed and I call for the floor.

The floor ruling is that the hand is still live as it hasn't hit the muck and the pot is awarded to Player 4. I agree that cards are live until they touch the muck, but believe that dealers should kill hands as soon as there is a motion towards the muck.

In the grand scheme of things, this is a small pot and I don't make a big deal out of it. On to the next hand. Nevertheless, if I am Player 4 I don't muck my hand till I actually see a 3 (Poker 101). I will await feedback from other players and dealers before I formally relegate the dealer to my Poker Hall of Shame.

2 comments:

Robert said...

As we know so much of this crap goes on daily. I usually keep my mouth shut just to keep the vibes good at the table but one that bothers me is when players throw out a chip to call, see that there was a raise in front of them, take their (calling) chip back and muck. Sure they don't have to call the raise but that first chip should stay. And it never does. Dealer always lets them take it back and muck.

THE BANKROLL EXPERIENCE said...

Usually once a player has thrown in his hand, its considered mucked not matter where it lands. Thats been my experience. Cant believe they still gave him the pot.