Sunday, January 15, 2006

Sit N Go Sunday

 
It's no secret that I have long since abandoned Sit N Go's and MTT's in favor of cash games. Nevertheless, my good, close, personal friend Bobby has been urging me to look into the former with particular emphasis on the strategies espoused in Kill Phil. Now I am a stubborn bastard at the best of times and rarely listen to the advice of others. But somehow his repeated exhortations breached my thick skin and today I decided to play some exploratory $5 SnG's on Full Tilt, leaving the appropriation of the aforementioned book to a date in the near future.

I played 8 SnG's with the following results :

1st place - 1 time
2nd place - 1 time
3rd place - 4 times
4th place - 2 times

for a 64% ROI. Clearly this is a very small sample space, so there is plenty of room for reversion to the mean. Also this is a very low limit, so the competition is below average. The point, however, is that at all times I felt in full control of both myself and the game, and was rarely surprised by anything thrown at me. And even more interestingly, it was obvious that there were a couple of players who were playing what I can only guess to be something akin to a Kill Phil strategy - naturally they were my toughest competition and they always made the money.

I have played $100 and $200 SnG's in the past. It's a pity Kill Phil wasn't available back then. But even if it had been, the question remains whether I would have had the discipline to implement it religiously.

3 comments:

Steve said...

I've been reading Kill Phil, although I haven't tried to implement the strategy yet. The basic strategy is designed for the rookie player, and so it doesn't really give you an edge, just a chance to survive. The advanced strategies allow for more flexibility and, I think, will provide an actual advantage.

I have added more all-in moves to my standard game. I am continually amazed by how much it takes to make your average internet player fold. Some of the hands they call with are also, um, interesting.

Mr Subliminal said...

Thank you, Big Cheez.

Thomas Kennedy said...

Kill Phil can be a risky strategy at the lower stakes because many players do not understand the value of their hands (or lack of value) and will call down pushes, even early in a tournament. If you identify players that are following the Kill Phil strategy, you can sit back and wait to trap them with the appropriate hands.