Thursday, June 29, 2017

My worst bad beat ever

The day was last Saturday, June 24, 2017, the venue was the Bellagio poker room, the game 1/3, and the dealer was Austin. It wasn't a huge pot moneywise as I only had about $200 in front of me, but it will be one I'll never forget.


I was in the big blind with 9h9s, and called a $15 UTG raise together with 3 others.

The flop was 9c 9d Tc.

I flopped quads and it was checked around.

The turn was 6c, and being the first to act, I checked again, hoping someone caught a draw  or better and would bet. It wasn't to be and it was checked around again.

When Austin placed the 7 of clubs on the river, I knew that he should have chosen a career in magic rather than dealing.

I bet $50, all folded to the button, who had me covered and who went all-in. Not being in the habit of folding quads, I called and was shown 8c8s for the straight flush. Even though Bellagio does not have a bad beat jackpot,  thankfully this hand would not have qualified as both cards have to be used.

Summarizing, I was a 99.7% favorite on the flop, and this was the first time I've lost with quads. This is not the worst beat possible on the flop - 99 vs AA on a 995 flop is a 99.9% favorite against an ace on the turn and river - but I'm sure I'll eventually be dealt one of these as well once Austin has some more time to hone his skills.

4 comments:

Rob said...

Yikes, that's a bad beat. Wow.

The only way it could have been worse would be for it to have taken place where they do have a bad beat jackpot and it didn't qualify because two cards have to play.

Just awful tho. I dunno how long it would take me to get back to a poker table after that one.

Flopping quads not good enough??>?

Lester said...

Here-in lies the proverbial rub... flopping a monster and managing to get some action such that you get paid off on the hand or.... giving away free cards to get that action and running into a two or three outer that sucks out on you? Ouch!

Memphis MOJO said...

Shake it off. You can rebuild the roll in no time. Is the head lice gig available?

ShareMyPair said...

Steve Miller here from ShareMyPair.

Just came upon your blog. Thought you might be interested in using ShareMyPair to create animated videos for some of your hands. Please download the free ShareMyPair app or register and post your hands from our website at www.ShareMyPair.com.